Monday, December 24, 2007

Nana Mae's Cheese Straws

This is my grandmother, Nana Mae (pronounced "non-uh ").

She's the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously!


Nana Mae is the queen of the kitchen! I always said if I ever lived close to her, I'd weigh 500 pounds. Well, I grew up and married Superman, who lived about 2 miles from Nana Mae's house. Thankfully, I don't weigh 500 pounds, but I have managed to get my hands on a few of her Nana-rific recipes.

Superman has a thing for Nana's pound cake and her cheese straws. They are his favorites! At the urging of my littlest joy, I decided to make cheese straws for Santa instead of cookies. W thought Santa might need a break from sweets, and wanted to let Santa try something cheesy. And down deep, I know the boy that looks like his daddy but acts like his mama is thinking that he may score some extra goodies from Santa once Santa tastes them, because Nana Mae's cheese straws are really that good!

Her recipes are kept under lock and key, but I thought that since it's Christmas, I should spread peace and good will to all men by sharing the recipe for her cheese straws. Because we all know that nothing says "peace and goodwill" like yummy food! Right?!?!

Here's the recipe:
2 cups shredded, sharp cheddar cheese

2 cups Red Band flour (I don't argue, I use the brands Nana Mae prefers!)
2 cups Rice Krispies
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 pound "oleo" (or for those of you like me that have a tendency to get lost in the kitchen, the translation for oleo is butter)
Mix all ingredients with a fork, or by hand.
Roll out into small balls.
Place balls on cookie sheet.
Flatten the balls with a fork, leaving the prong indention on the top.
When pressed out, the balls should look like quarter-sized disk, or a tad larger . They should be about as thick as 2-3 nickels stacked. If my description has left you clueless as to the shape and size, just refer to the picture below. I never claimed to be an expert in the kitchen! I just call 'em like I see 'em!
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
You're guaranteed to love them... and so is Santa!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...