Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve Memories

There's just something about the ending of one year and the start of a new one that forces you to stop and reminisce on your life. I've spent a bit today deep in thought about the past and the present.

This year Superman and I will have been married a decade. That's a long time to me! The thought of ten years together has caused me to reflect upon so many special things this year, our mini-anniversaries of sorts. Ten years since we spent my birthday weekend together for the first time. Ten years since we shared our first holiday season as a couple. Ten years since the first time we went together to a Clemson/Carolina game (and Clemson won).

Today has been no different. Although Superman and I knew each other for years before we ever formally dated, it's been ten years today since we first rang in the new year together. We were in Clemson with a bunch of my friends. We went to dinner and then out dancing. And as we danced, he sang the words to "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton in my ear as he pulled me closer.

And I melted!

And it became "our" song.

Ten weeks later, I married Superman.

That memory of New Year's Eve 1997, has consumed me today.

I'm sure it's not been on Superman's mind though. Oh no! And not because he's not the best thing that has ever happened to me! But because this is the 6th or 7th year in a row that Superman has helped one of his friends with his firework stand.

Long gone are the years in which we can go out on New Year's Eve. Long gone are the years in which we can shoot fireworks on December 31st or July 4th.

Instead, this is what my love is doing...

Am I whining about this?

Uh... yeah!

Because what I want to be doing right now is...

Because dadgumit, he's cute and adorable and huggable and kissable.

And mine!

And because I like to kiss on him!

That's why I married him!


But I can't kiss on him tonight.


Because he's here...






But you know what?

That same super-wonderful man that was singing along to "Wonderful Tonight" and stealing my heart, and taking my breath away a mere decade ago. That same man never fails to make sure we're together as the clock strikes midnight. Because we all know that whoever you're kissing at midnight on New Year's Eve is who you're supposed to be kissing on for the next year or something like that?!?!

Whether he arranges for his mom to come sit with the boys so I can come to the firework stand, or he gets his buddies to cover it for him so he can come home to me for a little bit, that same SUPERman will make sure that at midnight I'm doing this to him...

Hee! Hee!

Happy New Year Y'all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...