Monday, November 19, 2007

Just Another Manic Monday

What a whirlwind several days we've had. It's been so busy I haven't had a chance to post. Things haven't slowed down yet, but I had to take a minute or two and share some of what has been happening!
My sweet boys left Thursday night to go visit their Grammy (my mom)! With them out of town, Superman and I were able to get away on a couples' trip to the beach. We had a wonderful time! We went with the boys' godparents and another couple they knew. It was so nice to be back at the beach. It was chilly and windy, but there's just something about being at the beach!

There's also just something about being away from your children. The first 12 hours were sheer bliss! But it was all downhill after that! Can anyone tell me why it is that we, as parents, sometimes long for a little time away without our children. Yet, as soon as we get away, we're homesick for them? Poor Superman has had to endure a lot of whining from one mama that is homesick for her babies. In fact, as we lay in bed last night, and I was on the verge of my THIRD tear and snot induced mama meltdown, he said, "Honey, why don't you just go ahead and call them." And when I looked at the clock and saw that it was already 10:30 and well past their bedtime and all sense of reality clicked in my brain, I did what any sane mama would do. I made a mad dash for the phone and hit the speed dial to Grammy's house.
After all, I know my children, and I know my mother. Just as my children get to watch satellite channels at Grammy's house that are blocked at our house, they also get to have the bedtime of their choosing at Grammy's house. This normally means, that whenever they fall asleep during a banned Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon program, that particular time counts as their bedtime.

The boys were, of course, still awake when I called. My biggest joy told me of his adventures at Wal-Mart, and how hard it is to be nice to his brother. He also let me know that he had cried because he missed me. And with that, I began my THIRD homesick-for-babies-cry. Next, my littlest joy got on the phone. Due to his gift of gab and his unusually gifted Sweet Skills, he normally brings me to tears at will. Not last night, though! Oh no, I was a strong mama.

Before my littlest joy left on his journey of spoiling, he came and loved on me as I folded clothes in the laundry room. He wanted to know if I'd come get him if he got homesick. And I said, "Of course!" He wanted to know if I'd miss him. And I said, "Of course!" Then he gave me a big hug and said, "I'm going to miss you Mommy!" And I patted myself on my back and thought about what a wonderful mama I surely must be.

The littlest joy must not have realized I was following along behind him as he walked out of the laundry room. You see, he had brainwashed me. He had mesmerized me with his charm. Instead of having him put away his own laundry, I thought I'd follow behind him and put them away for him. After all, he was already traumatized with the mere thought of being away from me for a few days. How could I torture him further with the chore of putting his clean clothes away?

As I followed behind him, he stopped at the table where Superman was sitting. He wrapped his little arms around Superman's neck, and I heard the following words roll out on that sly little tongue, "Daddy, I'm going to miss you...THE MOST!"

What?!?!

WHAT?!?!

That's right! The little stinker is a Daddy's Boy! And that's why I didn't cry last night! I was a strong mama! I'm immune to his brainwashing techniques now!

Well, I have lights to put on a Christmas tree, and food to cook for Superman. And without my little joys here, I have no excuses for procrastinating! I'll leave you with a tranquil photo from a friend's house at the beach, and a promise to post again soon!


1 comment:

inspired said...

How Sweet! Don't worry! It won't be long!!! You are so tenderhearted, you bring tears to MY eyes!!

Stephanie
www.homeschoolblogger.com/inspired

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...